Friday, May 7, 2010

Chocolate Pie Anyone?

When company is coming over you always want to plan the menu for what your guests like best. My "guests" recently were my brother, sister-in-law, and precious nephew. Since my favorite and only brother doesn't have a sweet tooth, I decided not to try to cater to him in the dessert area. On the other hand, my favorite and only sis-in-law (along with my mother [and I {and most other normal people}]) appreciates chocolate delicacies.

I had yet to find a recipe that did chocolate pie justice (the last one I tried instructed to cook the pudding in the microwave....blah). Ok, so I pieced together my now favorite chocolate pie recipe from three separate and somewhat altered sources. My non-sweets-appreciating brother even enjoyed a slice!

Favorite Chocolate Pie

Crust (Crisco American Pie Celebration, 1989 edition, page 4. Personal adaptations in pink)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons coarse sugar
3/4 cup coconut oil
cold water

Heat oven to 375 degrees.

In medium bowl, mix flour, salt, and sugar. Gradually add oil, mixing in with a fork; dough will be very soft. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to form a soft dough ball (if dough becomes too sticky, add flour).

Roll dough out on a heavily floured piece of wax paper. Transfer dough into a 9-in pie plate. With fork, prick lots of holes into dough (prevents bubbles during baking). Cook until flaky (15-20 minutes).


Pudding (Betty Crocker Cookbook, 2005 edition, page 210. Personal adaptations in pink)
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup baking coco
1 1/2 cups powdered milk and 2 cups water
4 egg yolks, slightly beaten

In large saucepan, mix together all dry ingredients; whisk in water until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until pudding begins to boil and thicken (about 10 minutes). Pour about a cup of mixture into egg yolks and whisk until well blended; pour egg mixture back into remainder of pudding and whisk until smooth. Stirring constantly, boil pudding for 1 minute, or until thick.

Pour into cooked pie shell.


Meringue

4 egg whites, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
1/4 cup fine sugar

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat egg whites until fluffy (once other ingredients have been added, additional volume is impossible; trust me). Beat in cream of tarter. Gradually beat in sugar.

Smooth meringue over pudding, and cook pie until golden brown (10-15 minutes).


Enjoy,

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I want to see a PICTURE of your delicious chocolate pie, young lady!! And save me a piece!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Love you, (your big sis) Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It got eaten before I could get a pic! lol Love you, too!

    ReplyDelete