Monday, March 29, 2010

Painted Ideas


There's no limit to what an idea can do with paint.


For me, it started with the need for several pretty but low-costing gifts for the guests of a party I was to host. Inspired by Mary Engelbreit's creative idea books, I tried my hand at painting initial decor. The wooden letters were purchased 30% off at Hobby Lobby (less than $1 a piece). Next, the colors and patterns were customized, again inspired by Engelbreit and the guests' personal tastes. With a variety of craft paints, paint brushes, and craft wire the gifts were finished within a couple hours and a couple $$.




The next few projects were various signs, mostly intended as gifts. Lettering was my biggest time absorber. The best method I found, without investing in stencils, was printing the text in the desired font from a Microsoft program and copying it to the finished background with a pencil (and eraser).


Sprucing up my "herb" garden was my next endeavor. Fifteen concrete stepping stones awaited. After borrowing some more ideas from Mary Engelbreit, I set to work cutting stencils from card stock. A couple cans of spray paint, and several bottles of outdoors craft paint, a backache and many hours later the job was finished.





Before I finished the aforementioned project, Mom hired me to paint the stepping stones in our front yard. Using similar patterns, mom's went a little quicker (money is a great motivator!).






With your ideas and paint stirred up, who knows what's next?






P.S. Check out Mary Engelbreit's website for inspirational ideas!



2 comments:

  1. So cute, Julie!! I love the new look of your blog, btw! ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are SO creative, Julie! You've always been good with a pencil or paint brush in your hand. :) ~Kristy

    ReplyDelete