Sunday, March 7, 2010

Wholesome Herbal Bread

A very nice result of being a full-time "stay-at-home-daughter," is the time it offers one to explore the culinary arts more widely. My sweet sister-in-law recently peaked my interest in bread making when she showed me how to make her delicious cresent rolls, which by the way include yeast as an ingredient. More than ten years after my first bread making experience (the yeast in the cinnamon rolls refused to rise and thus created cinnamon clay pigeons!) I finally had the courage to try again! (Thanks Ashley!)

And so I leave you with a deliciously easy Herbal Bread recipe. Go pinch off a sprig of rosemary, parsley and thyme, dig out your rolling pin and read on!

P.S. If you don't have the big, red Betty Crocker recipe book, I highly recommend it. This recipe was taken from page 98 of the 2005 edition. My adaptations are in blue.


Fresh Herbal Batter Bread

Prep: 10 min. Rise: 40 min. Bake: 45 min.
1 loaf, 20 slices

3 cups all-purpose flour (1 cup wheat flour plus 2 cups all-purpose flour)
1 tablespoon sugar (raw sugar)
1 teaspoon salt (sea salt)
1 package regular or quick active dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
1 1/4 cups very warm water (120 F or 130 F) (water is warm enough when a drop on your forearm feels neither hot nor cold)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (or dried parsley)
2 tablespoons shortening (coconut oil is much better for you; soften before adding to recipe)
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh
or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves (I use a little less, since rosemary is very potent)
1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh
or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
Butter or margarine, softened, if desired

1. Grease bottom and sides of 8x4-inch or 9x5-inch loaf pan with shortening (or coconut oil) or spray with cooking spray.

2. In large bowl, mix 2 cups of the flour, the sugar, salt and yeast. Add warm water, parsley, shortening, rosemary and thyme. Beat with electric mixer on low speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. Beat on medium speed 1 minute, scraping bowl frequently. (I do this by hand since the batter climbs up the mixer I use) Stir in remaining 1 cup of flour until smooth.

3. Spread batter evenly in pan. Round top of loaf by patting with floured hands. (I like to butter my bread at this time, as well as in step 5) Cover loosely with plastic wrap lightly sprayed with cooking spray and let rise in warm place about 40 minutes or until dough had doubled in size.

4. Heat oven to 375 F.

5. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Immediately remove from pan to wire rack. Brush top of loaf with butter; sprinkle with additional chopped fresh herbs if desired. Cool.

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. I haven't tried this one yet, but I'm loving the Batter Bread recipe you taught me! ~Kristy

    ReplyDelete